inside banner 1
inside banner 3
inside banner 4

What people food should you not give your pet to avoid a pet emergency?

The natural curiosity of many animals means that, given the chance, they will be all too happy to take a bite of whatever looks tasty, including human food. While there are plenty of things that we eat that are safe for our animals to consume, there are just as many that could prove dangerous, or even deadly. Toxicity levels of different foods vary based on what they are and your pet’s body weight, so vets advise that owners should keep them far away from animals in any quantity.


Here’s our guide to people food you should avoiding giving your pet, which could help you to avoid a pet emergency.



Chocolate may taste delicious, but chocolate (and any foods or drinks containing caffeine) all contain substances called methylxanthines. When these are ingested by animals, they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, abnormal heart rate, hyperactivity, seizures and can even be deadly. All chocolate is dangerous, but the darker a chocolate is, the most methylxanthines it will contain and the more deadly it could be.



Citrus foods and drinks can be very problematic for the digestive system of animals. The oils that they contain can cause irritation and even affect your pet’s central nervous system. Small doses may result in minor stomach issues, but larger quantities could make your furry pal very sick.


Grapes and Raisins

Many pet owners already know that grapes and raisins are bad news for animals, although it’s not known precisely why they are so toxic. Ingestion is known to be very harmful to our pet’s kidneys, so vets recommend that all grapes and raisins are kept well out of reach of any animal in your home.


Macadamia Nuts

Most dogs love peanut butter, but you might not realize that macadamia nuts are a whole different story. Ingesting these can make your pet incredibly unwell, with symptoms including weakness, vomiting, tremors, and hyperthermia that could last several days. Nuts in general should be offered only in moderation since they are high in oils and could cause upset tummies.


Dairy and Milk Products

Our animal’s bodies aren’t as capable of digesting dairy products as our own. This is because they don’t have enough lactase, which is the enzyme responsible for breaking down lactose in milk. This means it’s harder for them to digest dairy products, which can result in stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea and other digestive issues.


Garlic, Chives, and Onions

Lots of people love using garlic, onions, and chives in their cooking to add flavor. Nevertheless, we must be careful not to share any foods containing these ingredients with our pets. That’s because these items can cause gastrointestinal issues, and even red blood cell damage and anemia.


Meat on the Bone

Animals love to eat meat, and most are safe for them to consume. Nevertheless, it’s important to never offer our pets meat that is still on the bone. Your furry pal could potentially choke on any bones, even small ones. They could also potentially sustain an injury if the bone scratches, pokes, becomes stuck or punctures their digestive tract. Any meat should be carefully removed from the bone and checked thoroughly before being given to any animal.


Candy and Artificial Sweeteners

You may have heard of xylitol before. This product is often used as a sweetener in drinks, candy, and gum. On the surface it may seem harmless, but xylitol consumption in animals has the potential to be deadly. This is because xylitol can trigger your pet’s body to release insulin, causing a sudden drop in blood sugar levels that can be fatal.



If your furry friend does by chance have a reaction to human food contact Emergency Pet Hospital of Redlands in Redlands, California at (909) 793-5999 to speak to our dedicated veterinary team today.